Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Freedom to be Rejected

This Sunday I submitted my first piece for consideration in a paying market. Then I submitted it to another. The piece in question being speculative poetry, there's not a lot of markets for it, but two in one day isn't bad.

I had written this poem over a year ago and forgotten about it; it languished from then until this past week in a folder labeled "Starters" because at that time I apparently thought I would ever write that story in more detail. (Spoiler: I'm not.) When I found it, I realized I actually kind of liked it. So I worried over it for two days, tweaking the rhythm and redoing the ending until I was nervously confident about it, and then the friend who was looking it over for me gave the best advice: "The worst they can say is no, and you will be no worse off in any way than you are now."

For a perfectionist like me, that is a hugely liberating thing to hear. The thing is, I didn't write this for publication; I wrote it because it was fun and then I edited it for publication. So if I lose the time I spent editing... oh well. It doesn't hurt me at all. I've still got parents paying for my living expenses, a regular job hunt going, and more poetry markets to look into for this before I give up on it. And it's not like I'm hurting for ideas either; more and more I'm finding that things I had idea seeds for fit the criteria that various places want. I can rework some of my old things to fit other places' criteria.

Long story short: I'm very likely going to be rejected. And I'm pretty much fine with that. (But if I'm not, you can bet I'm going to be bragging about it on here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment