Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Review also available on Goodreads here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/6381729007?book_show_action=false

I honestly wasn't expecting to love this book. I watch some BookTubers who have less than stellar feelings about SJM and her works. So I went into this with low expectations. And for the first few chapters I thought that those expectations would be met. I ended up skipping chapters 2 through 4 (I eventually came back to them) because I was bored and wanted to get to the fae.

Good news: I stopped being bored pretty fast once we met them.

This is a beautiful story. The imagery is beautiful. The themes are beautiful. The characters are described as beautiful. And it hit me during an early scene when Feyre goes outside into the gardens that I really wanted more beautiful things in my reading. I didn't read this for the most groundbreaking, mind-blowing prose I've ever seen. The prose is serviceable. It does its job. It functions. That's all it really needs to do, though, because the story is just so beautiful. I loved living in this world. I loved the characters I was surrounded by. (I'm not sure about Rhys, but he's got two more hefty books to sell me.) I loved the morals and themes of the story, and I loved the ending. This story is just beautiful. It's light and ethereal in the way of a really good modern fairy tale. I loved living in it and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. 

Final rating: 4 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the benefits of the mustache-twirling villain

Book Review: Queen of Roses by Briar Boleyn (Blood of a Fae series #1)